Date:      Mon, 7 Oct 2002 15:08:12 -0400
From:      AlanE <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@gmx.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports List <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ports/43778: update port: devel/automake -> 1.7

On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 11:40:05AM -0700, Matthias Andree wrote:
>The following reply was made to PR ports/43778; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
>From: Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@gmx.de>
>To: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
>Subject: Re: ports/43778: update port: devel/automake -> 1.7
>Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 20:37:17 +0200
>
> NOTE: This fix depends on PR #43775 to be committed as well, because
> automake 1.7 requires autoconf 2.54.

But does autoconf-2.54 work with automake-1.5.whatever?

Automake-1.7 will be done as a repocopy into an automake-devel port.
This simply expands upon some changes to bsd.port.mk that I have already
got pipelined.

Automake-2.54 will probably be done soon, as an upgrade. But I expect it
will go through a period of testing on the 4-exp builds before it is
ready to go live, and I've got to get my bsd.port.mk changes verifited
and committed at the same time.

So, don't expect this to happen overnight, or in a week. Gorgive me, but
I'll most likely leave the PRs open but basically ignore them and do
this myself... esp automake 1.7. I' will close them in tandem with the
relevant commits, whenever they should happen. Frankly, I think
bsd.port.mk should be verified and commited first (and it's a big
change, completely rewriting the AUTO* sutff. Ports which use sick hacks
will probably break. That's their problem, AFAIAC, but that's why any
and all of this has to gh though an extended testing cycle first.

Thanks for the suggestions and PRs, but this has been planned ever since
I took over these ports from Ade when he quit.
--
Alan Eldridge
Unix/C(++) IT Pro, 20 yrs, seeking new employment.