Date:      Wed, 3 Feb 1999 20:59:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
To:        Rod Taylor <oscentral@usa.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network Cards

On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, Rod Taylor wrote:

> I've often wondered this, but why is it that every network card has a different
> 'name'.
>
> xl0, rl0, vr0, ed0, etc. etc. etc
>
> I tried simlinking them to a common name (I have xl0, rl0, and ed0 active in my
> current machine).   linked to eth0, eth1, eth2 (didn't work).

look at /etc/rc* , try to formulate something like rc.conf where you
define internet interfaces like:

eth0 = "xl0"

look at rc.firewall for better examples.

> However, it would be nice if they all had a common name to the end user..
> Primarily, me..  Especially when you rip out one card, install another, then
> the name changes on you...

ifconfig -a

Alfred Perlstein - Programmer, HotJobs Inc. - www.hotjobs.com
-- There are operating systems, and then there's FreeBSD.
-- http://www.freebsd.org/                        4.0-current