Date:      Thu, 16 Jul 1998 13:54:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Snob Art Genre <benedict@echonyc.com>
To:        CyberPsychotic <fygrave@krsu.edu.kg>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel dies.

On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, CyberPsychotic wrote:

> > > binaries? Some other environment?
> >
> > World in this case refers to the whole system (/bin and /usr/bin but not
> > /usr/local/bin, for example).
>
> so binaries, right?

And documentation, yes.  Changed to /etc are made in /usr/src/etc and
have to be brought over by hand.

>  so I will need to get whole three at
> ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-stable/* and then put it into my
> /usr/src instead of current stuff? And then I am ready to recompile all
> the biaries world here, right? By the way can I find all the
> kernel stuff precompressed somewhere? because I use proxy, and whenever it
> fetches things, the compression on the fly hardly work.

Cvsup will be much faster than ftp, since it only transfers diffs, not
the whole files involved, and files that haven't changed won't be
transferred.  I usually install it by doing

cd /usr/ports/net/cvsup
make install clean

Then you run cvsup with one of the files in /usr/share/examples/cvsup/,
for you it would be stable-supfile.  You might want to copy it and tweak
it first.

Cvsup knows how to work with proxies; I've never had to do it, but take
a look at the man page for the appropriate arguments.

 Ben

"You have your mind on computers, it seems."