Date:      Tue, 4 Jul 2000 21:29:37 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net>
To:        jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        ler@lerctr.org, grog@lemis.com, Greg@fatcanary.com.au, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AMD K6-2 / 550

> > Let's put it this way, I've posted a NUMBER of items to the -stable list
> > over the last 2-4 weeks as I've fought this one.  I can't get a
> > CPU/BIOS/MB with a K6-2/550 on it to SUCCESSFULLY/RELIABLY make world.
>
> Well, it's certainly a hardware problem of some sort since we have
> literally dozens of K6-2 systems here - we built a cluster of them for
> package building and have a bunch of them also serving in various
> FreeBSD desktop roles.  They all work flawlessly, from FreeBSD 3.x all
> the way up to 5.0-current.  Where the hardware problem is with your
> system is, of course, almost impossible to diagnose remotely but rest
> assured that it is NOT a software issue.  I'm also not saying that you
> implied such was the case, I just wanted to state such publically and
> for the record.

Ditto.  I'm slowly but surely dumping all my Intel Pentium stuff, plus most
of my 486 or older stuff :-)  I've been using the ASUS P/I-P55T2P4, the
venerable Triton II overclocker's board, which I've got a plethora of, and
some P5A's.  My baseline systems are now K6/233's, ranging up to
K6-III-400's (which still seem to be faster than their K6-2 higher speed
counterparts).  Only using Intel for the SMP stuff now.  And on my laptop
:-(
--
... Joe