Date:      Sun, 14 Nov 1999 03:41:58 -0500
From:      Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
To:        'Juha Saarinen' <juha_saarinen@email.msn.com>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD. ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Ports and upgrading

Well....

	Wait for the port to be updated.  It's not just a matter of hacking
make files, there are patches associated as well as other settings.

	If you're impatient.  Download the source code and compile it
yourself, bypassing the ports collection all together.  Although, an update
to something like samba should make it into the collection fairly quickly.

	As for replacing the old one.  The commonly accepted way of doing
this is the following.
	1. make all, the new port, don't install.  So you know it compiles.
	2. Remove the old port with pkg_delete.
	3. make install, the new port.
	4. (Optional) make clean.

> I'd also like to install KDE 1.1.2 somehow, but the port is only
> 1.1.1. KDE is split into heaps of different files, so I'm wondering
> where to start here. (Apologies if this is apparent by reading the
> Makefile or something.)

	Now I know you haven't updated your ports with cvsup, either that or
you haven't looked since updating.  Because KDE 1.1.2 has been in there for
a while.

> Wish I had made /usr bigger or put /usr/ports onto a separate
> partition... 87% full already.

	Tell me about it.  If it's a problem symlink /usr/ports/disfiles to
a dir on a larger partition.  Also, make sure you are doing a make clean
after each port is installed.