Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 01:44:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      BSD Biggot <mike@adept.org>
To:        core-ix@hushmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some proposals to FreeBSD kernel

On 10 xxx -1 core-ix@hushmail.com wrote:

> What he wrote was ' int main(void) {while(1) fork(); }'  compiled it
> and run it. Within a second /kernel said "proc: table is full" and
> died. I tried this on some other BSD unixes and the result was
> same.

A fork() bomb...  Resource exhaustion.  Old news.

> (BTW Minix 2.0 seem unaffected and probably other SVR4
> variants, because you can limit the number of  system processes
> and system still have resources to work fine(although slow))

I've done this on SunOS.  As for limiting processes, I'd tweak the
appropriate knobs in login.conf(5).  If you're worried about root doing
something similar without such restrictions...  Well, you've got other
things to worry about if someone already has root access to your machine.

-mrh