Date:      Mon, 29 Oct 2001 11:01:50 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        cooperdm <cooperdm@optusnet.com.au>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Timezone question regarding UTC with no timezone

cooperdm <cooperdm@optusnet.com.au> types:
> I would like to configre BSD4.2 so that the machines CMOS clock is set
> to UTC and does not experience any DST changes, is there a particular
> time zone setting for this?

No.

> When I run tzsetup I select yes to "Is this machines Cmos clock set to
> UTC" but what time zone do I select to not be affected by DST and how
> would I change it if I have already selected a timezone.

There are three different clocks involved here. One is the cmos clock,
which you've presumably set to GMT. The other is the system clock,
which is normally set to GMT at boot time from the CMOS clock. You
really don't need to do much about those once you've told the system
the cmos clock is set to utc. If you select the "cmos clock is wall
clock" option, then you need to tell the system what time zone that
is.

Finally, there's the clock implicit in the various C date conversion
routines. That is also controlled by what timezone you select. You can
change that with tzsetup.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.