Date:      Thu, 06 Dec 2018 12:21:03 -0600
From:      Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>
To:        Valeri Galtsev <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Advice on backups

--On December 5, 2018 at 4:44:40 PM -0600 Valeri Galtsev
<galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu> wrote:

> On 12/5/18 4:29 PM, Paul Schmehl wrote:
>> I manage a couple of servers on the internet. There are no backup or
>> test servers, so I have to do everything on live systems that are
>> serving webpages, handling mail, etc.
>
> I used bacula for quite long, and recently I'm gradually switching to
> bacula's fork: bareos. I really recommend bareos (or bacula), it is real
> backup, open source, enterprise level quality, etc... And yes, I did have
> to recover stuff, including versions on particular date etc.
>
> I hope, this helps.

I used to be the port maintainer for bacula.

The sites that I maintain do not change frequently enough to justify
incremental backups, and the site owners don't even care if all the recent
data is lost. So, once daily full backups are more than sufficient for my
purposes.

The idea isn't to capture every single change but simply to ensure that the
sites will come back up after a failure.

If I lost a hard drive, restoring from tarballs is fine, and any lost data
would be lost permanently. These sites don't have the same needs as
commercial or professional sites wrt backups and restoration.

I once had to restore a site (lost a hard drive) over a dialup modem from
1,200 miles away, and while it took a really long time, it worked fine and
no one noticed that anything was missing (including me.) Those backups were
daily rsyncs stored on the second server.

Paul Schmehl, Retired