Date:      Sun, 11 Jan 2004 14:06:41 +0100
From:      "Daan Vreeken [PA4DAN]" <Danovitsch@Vitsch.net>
To:        70uf33q Hu5541n <topa_007@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.1 Installation probelms

On Sunday 11 January 2004 11:29, 70uf33q Hu5541n wrote:
> hey guys,
>
> Just got my copy of FreeBSD 5.1.
> Spent about an hour going through the BSD Handbook and
> preparing a Installation checklist.
>
> ok here's my problem.
>
> I have a WD 40 GB HDD
> the primary partition is 10 GB, with the extended
> partition 28 GB.(the rest 2 GB is in WD's bank).
>
> OK , the extended partition has 3 logical drives.
> To create a slice for BSD, I resized one of the
> logical drives to free up some space. About 1.2
> GB,cause that's all I can spare.
>
> When I run the installation through CDROM, and the
> point where I'm to creat the Freebsd slice,the new
> partition is not displayed in the "FDISK" utility.
>
> All I get is the primary (10GB) and the whole Extended
> (28 GB).
> The freespace I guess is "locked into" the Extended
> Partiton. Not sure though.
Indeed you first have to resize the extended partition before you can use=
 the=20
space to create slices. The "fdisk" program that comes with Windows has n=
o=20
way to do this (except deleting all logicle drives in the extended partit=
ion=20
and re-creating them). Have a look at the program "Partition Magic". It c=
an=20
resize partitions and it has a nice user interface.

grtz,
Daan