Date:      Mon, 6 Oct 1997 16:59:42 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Brad Karp <karp@eecs.harvard.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wd interrupt timeouts w/2.2.2, PAO, IBM 380

> I'm running 2.2.2-RELEASE with the latest PAO from makefile.org on a
> new IBM 380. I can find almost no mention of experience reports with
> the 380 on the web and in mailing list archives, probably because this
> particular model is so new.
>
> At any rate, I sporadically get messages like the following on the console:
>
> wd0: interrupt timeout:
> wd0: status 58<rdy,seekdone,drq> error 0
> wd0: interrupt timeout:
> wd0: status 58<rdy,seekdone,drq> error 1<no_dam>

Interesting....  I just got this on my box last night, but it never gave
up after a few minutes, but continued for about 15 minutes when I gave
up and powered it down.

> After a restart, I often go through long periods without these messages.
> But once they start, they occur quite frequently. What's more, even if I
> reboot, they continue to occur frequently after rebooting.

Mine occur on *one* partition of my drive.  I think it's related to a
block going bad on the disk.

> I suspect an interaction between APM and the wd driver, naturally...it
> appears the wd driver is intolerant of disk spin-downs.

APM isn't even enabled on my box now, so I don't think it's APM.

> My question is: has anyone out there seen similar behavior on any model
> of laptop? If so, what did you do to correct it? The machine is more or
> less unusable when it goes away for minutes at a time in disk retries...

I'm trying to figure out how to salvage my disk right now, so I don't
have any solutions.  But, I have seen similar behavior. :(

Nate