Date:      Thu, 15 Jun 2000 11:49:21 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Paul Herman <pherman@frenchfries.net>
To:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   i4b hangs during boot with ELSA Microlink

Hi,

I have an ELSA Microlink PCI ISDN card, and i4b hangs when I boot.
The card gets detected and shows:

isic0: <ELSA QuickStep 1000pro PCI ISDN adapter> rev 0x01 int a irq 10 on pci0.11.0
isic0: IPAC PSB2115 Version 1.2

...and the kernel continues to detect other devices.  Later at the
end (after npx0) before it is *supposed* to display

  i4b: ISDN call control device attached
  i4bctl: ISDN system control port attached
  i4brbch: 2 raw B channel access device(s) attached
  i4btrc: 1 ISDN trace device(s) attached

...it displays nothing, and locks up.  I have DDB compiled in with
debug kernel, but it locks up so hard, it won't even break with
Ctl-Alt-Esc so sorry, no backtraces!

SOLUTION:

If I disconnect the ISDN cable during kernel boot, and then put it
back when the system comes up into multiuser, i4b *does indeed* get
attached and the card works beautifuly (that's how I sent this email)
Card also works fine under Win2000 without these cable games so I
think hardware can be ruled out.  :(

QUESTIONS:

Is this a known problem?  Am I the only one?  What can I do to help?
Does the card need to first be reset by i4b somehow?  I'd love to hack
around in the kernel, but without a backtrace or familiarity with i4b
layer1 code, I don't know where to start.  Tell me what I can do /
where to start to debug this.

Help!  Without magical $5,000 robotic arm to disconnect and reconnect
cable during boot, this is totally inadequate for a standalone server!
;-)

SETUP:

FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE
ELSA Microlink 1000 PCI ISDN Adapter
i4b 0.83 with IPAC V1.2 patches posted on the list
i4b 0.90 with IPAC V1.2 patches posted on the list, also no luck.

P.S. I tried Fritz! AVM PCI and it works fine (i.e. don't need to play
cable games.)

Thanks,
-Paul.