Date:      Mon, 23 Nov 2009 23:22:47 -0800
From:      George Davidovich <freebsd@optimis.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Subject:   Re: Prompt containing SSH login information

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 05:10:38AM +0100, Polytropon wrote:
> again, a strange question: I'd like to know if there is a builtin
> means to let the csh's (or bash's) prompt show an information if
> the current dialog session has been opened via SSH from another
> system. The obvious is:
>
> 	me@sys1:~% ssh me@sys2
> 	me@sys2:~% _
>
> I'd like the second prompt that I've been logged into sys2 by
> sys1, such as
>
> 	me@sys1>sys2:~% _
>
> or reverse
>
> 	me@sys2<sys1:~% _
>
> or something similar, like the complex form with different user
> names, such as
>
> 	me@sys1:~% ssh bob@sys2
> 	me@sys1>bob@sys2:~% _
>
> Is this possible with the means given by the shell? I read "man
> csh", but found nothing that would fit.
>
> Maybe it's not possible (because not intended)...

I'd suggest parsing out w(1), or better yet, making use of environmental
variables instead.  The following, for example, are set by ssh:

  SSH_CLIENT
  SSH_CONNECTION
  SSH_TTY

Out of curiosity, why are you wanting to do this?  Are you chaining
connections and need an analog of SHLVL for ssh connections?

--
George