Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 1996 02:19:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jaeger <jaeger@dhp.com>
To:        Michael Elbel <me@tick.muc.ditec.de>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can somebody recommend a notebook?

On Wed, 14 Aug 1996, Michael Elbel wrote:

> I need to get a notebook here at work. Can anybody recommend something.
> Additionally, has anybody tried to install FreeBSD on one of the newer
> DIGITAL HiNote Notebooks? They do look good.

	Would you mean the Hinote Ultra/Ultra II subnotes or the full sized
ones?  I booted the boot floppy for 2.1.0 and 2.1.5 installs, and they
seemed to detect and run everything okay, including the 3Com 3C589C.  This
was the slightly older Hinote Ultra (not the p5 equipped Ultra II).  I never
thought I could live with a subnote, but I was very pleased overall (haven't
tried FreeBSD on it).  The Ultra II has a 10.4" screen, the same as the full
sized Winbook XP5 I had been favoring.  The Ultra seems very solid, and I
haven't had any problems (in stark contrast to Winbooks).  The keyboard is
quite nice considering the height savings.  The biggest disadvantage I see
so far is the lack of a swappable hard drive.  Maybe this is corrected in
the Ultra II?  I recently saw a base Ultra advertised for $1600, and a RAM
upgrade (to bring the total to the maximum 24, like mine) for around $269.
This is of course the older model, but I consider it a good value if a
compact notebook with a 486 is all you need.

-jaeger