Date:      Mon, 06 Apr 2009 23:20:16 -0500
From:      Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>
To:        DAve <dave.list@pixelhammer.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multiple instances of MySQL

--On April 6, 2009 11:41:06 PM -0400 DAve <dave.list@pixelhammer.com>
wrote:

> Olivier Nicole wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> Has anyone setup two instances of MySQL on the same server? One
>>> running  just a client's DBs? Any advice would be helpful.
>>
>> That is not answering your question directly, but MySQL works finr
>> over an SSH tunnel.
>>
>> You'd have your users connect/authenticate with SSH first to establish
>> the tunnel, then they'd use the tunnel to forward the NySQl
>> connection.
>
> I doubt the would be an option without a GUI to do everything for the
> user. I suggested a VPN which we can setup easily with a Cisco Client.
> No answer back from the account manager on that option.

If your client needs a gui to access mysql, why not use phpmyadmin (or a
similar gui-based admin utility) and restrict access to his IP(s)?  You
can do this with your firewall rules or by using .htaccess.  You can also
force SSL connections, which would protect against MITM attacks on a
cleartext session.

(You can also require SSL and secure auth for the db and restrict access
by IP using the format username@fqdn, but you stated that you're not
comfortable depending *only* upon mysql's security capabilities.)

However, I would suggest that you provide, as you suggest, a separate
instance of mysql just for this client as well.  If they screw up the
instance they won't affect other customers.  To run a separate instance, I
would suggest using different names for the binaries, conf files and
datadir.  This can be easily done using symlinks; e.g. mysql and
mysql-special.  Then copy the startup script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/,
rename it to mysql-special and edit it to change all references to the
newly-named instance.  Use a my-special.cnf file for the special instance
and reference it in /etc/rc.conf using mysql_args=.

Paul Schmehl, If it isn't already
obvious, my opinions are my own
and not those of my employer.
WARNING: Check the headers before replying