Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2008 17:14:50 -0800
From:      Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>
To:        Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is it possible that modern wireless card only supports WPA and not WEP or this is a bug in the driver?

Sam Leffler wrote:
> If you cannot use a feature you'll get an error when you try to use
> it.  There simply are not enough capability bits around to waste on
> features that are always true.  If I reorg this stuff (and I intend to
> to split crypto out into a separate features word because we are out
> of bits) then I can look into expanding the status.

Exactly, I got errors while trying to use WEP with FreeBSD-based
wireless access point. And I looked in four eyes at all options and
capabilities.
And I first thought that WEP support is a problem. Basically AP with WEP
encryption doesn't work with this card.
Now I wonder if this software-based WEP support can be responsible for
this failure.
> To be honest you're the first person that's even noticed you can list
> capabilities in the 3+ years that's been in place (or at least made
> public mention).  Hardly seems like something that's constantly
> confused people.

Ok I will correct myself: this is very confusing to people who look and
notice. Though there are not too many obviously.
But caps are mentioned in the handbook. And it particularly says there:

   ifconfig /ath0/ list caps
   <skip>
   This output displays the card capabilities <skip>
   Various supported ciphers are also mentioned: WEP, TKIP, WPA2, etc.,
   these informations are important to know what security protocols
   could be set on the Access Point.

So from this one can conclude that WEP isn't supported. I guess it's
good to mention
here that WEP is always supported no matter what WEP flag says.

Yuri