Date:      Thu, 1 Jul 1999 12:19:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lizard...

>OK, I'll add a few comments to this.

And I'll respond... The actual pros and cons of the current installer and
what a new one would look like is not the real question to answer here,...
I have to say that what we have isn't that bad- it fails only in some
areas where it violates the principle of least surprise. It's quite
similar to the Slackware install in that it's simple but does have some
fastpath items that work for a large number of cases and it tries to
sanity check as it goes. That's really all that's needed for almost all
the cases (I assert).

I'm really not sure that the Windows-like look is a smart move. I mean,
KDE looks like a VGA version of win95 and this was all a clever joke with
fvwm95 but it's wearing thin.

What actual marketing information do we actually have that says that in
order to go after the desktops we aren't currently installed on we have to
add a lot of engineering effort to the installer? Would it be better to
try and work some deals with Compaq or Dell (so that they hedge their bets
on Linux) and be a preinstalled choice for those systems instead of trying
go after the (exceedingly rare and getting rarer) desktop user who
actually installs an entire OS from CD?

-matt