Date:      Fri, 9 Jul 1999 21:16:46 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Dirk Kleinhesselink <djk@djk.saintl.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Alpha 500a ok

On Fri, 9 Jul 1999, Dirk Kleinhesselink wrote:

> > Mark Holloway wrote:
>
> >> Hi FreeBSD/Alpha people..[snip]Some people have asked me why I'm
> >> looking at Alpha and not Intel.  Right now I have an Intel/FreeBSD
> >> machine at home and it works great.  However, I've always looked for
> >> the best "bang for the buck" and $1400 is a pretty low price to pay
> >> for the Alpha and I feel the components are built better.  The SpecINT
> >> on the Alpha 500 is still higher than any other used RISC based
> >> machine in this price range (Sparc 20, SGI Indy, all with SpecINT
> >> around 2.5 -> 4.5). Does anyone know of any issues or quirks with the
> >> Alpha 500a machines?  Or are they pretty stable?
> >

> >  One word on the Spec* benchmarks: I guess the quoted numbers are the
> > ones published by DEC. They probably used their highly polished compiler
> > to produce the benchmark binaries --- on DEC OSF/1 a.k.a. True64 or what
> > they changed the name to. On Net/FreeBSD you'll have to rely on the
> > gcc/egcs family of compilers whose optimization for Alpha is less than
> > perfect. At least, it was like that until gcc2.8.1 (I lost track of
> > recent development). So, if you really get the best 'bang for the buck'
> > is questionable.
> >
> >  Any better information on that? I haven't seen any good benches for
> > Alpha/Linux or *BSD recently.
>
> >  For myself, I'd go with the Alpha every day, just because it's got more
> > style, but that's a different story.
> >
> > -Rain
> Compaq has released for beta testing their Digital UNIX FORTRAN compiler
> ported to Linux/Alpha and this seems to be working pretty well, at least
> for me and for some of the people who've commented on it in the
> redhat-alpha list.  Can Linux apps work on FreeBSD/alpha as they do for
> FreeBSD/386 ?

The Linux emulator has not yet been ported. It shouldn't be a huge job
though.

> I intend to try FreeBSD/alpha as soon as I can get my ARC
> based PC164 over to SRM.  BTW the newest SRM recognizes and will boot from
> IDE drives, so I hope the FreeBSD/alpha developers can take advantage of
> this.  OpenBSD will boot and install to IDE drives from SRM.

Current snapshots don't include the ATA drivers needed for this. It might
be a case of just adding the drivers to GENERIC but I'm not sure if
sysinstall understands the ATA driver (it should).

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com