Date:      Sun, 09 Jul 2000 14:41:24 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>, Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>, Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>, Dann Lunsford <dann@greycat.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: No port of Opera? (Was: ((FreeBSD : Linux) :: (OS/2 : Windows)))

> No; it appears to be your crusade to quash some valuable insights.

Nope, that can't be it.  I don't see any valuable insights in this
discussion.

> My predictions have been accurate in the past and are being fulfilled
> here as well. And my efforts to date in the BSD world have been
> quite effective. Therefore, I daresay I have quite a bit of currency.
> Why are you attempting to undermine it?

You may daresay this, but I do not.  I haven't seen any such accuracy
demonstrated by your predictions and there's a certain hand gesture I
cannot draw here which adequately sums up your efforts to date in the
BSD world.  So you put on a few panels and wrote an article or two -
big, fat, hairy deal!  I've done the same countless times and no
longer even make any special note of it unless the article in question
appears in the Wall Street Journal or Time Magazine or something.  As
to panels, anybody can put together a panel and even get some pretty
good people on it.  A panel is what you do when you and a bunch of
other people don't feel like really working hard on a talk. ;-) Am I
saying such work is valueless?  Of course not, or I would not do it
myself.  I'm simply saying that you radically over-estimate the value
of your currency if you think you can spend your $10 so profligately
now on $100 arguments.

> Er, Jordan, *now* who's advocating being Quixotic? Such an effort
> requires a team, as I can't exactly afford to quit putting food on the
> table in order to do it alone. By arguing against the concept you are
> discouraging people from joining that effort and are thus sabotaging it

I can only hope so - it's a damn stupid idea and I'll be happy to say
that to anyone who asks.  I'm somehow evil if I have the temerity to
call a spade a spade?  Get off your high horse, Brett, and stop
assuming that every idea you have is somehow enobled to the point of
automatic correctness just because it passed through your exalted
brain on the way to your fingertips.

I can only repeat the same advice again, and it's been good general
advice to the population at large for as long as I can remember: If
you really want to prove a point that badly, go do exactly as I said
and write it yourself.  I'm sure a bright boy like you can figure out
some way to put food on the table and do something of a substantive
technical nature at the same time since so many others in so many open
source projects have done exactly that, time and again.  You're just
ducking and weaving all over the place so much when it comes to "put
up or shut up" here that it's a wonder you're not motion-sick by now.

- Jordan