Date:      Mon, 21 May 2001 15:50:34 +0100
From:      j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        dochawk@psu.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how much ram/cpu/swap to run emacs/xemacs effectively?

On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 10:34:31AM -0400, dochawk@psu.edu wrote:
| Jonathon jib ed
|
| > All holy wars aside, what do i need to run xemacs effectively?
|
| But, but . . . :)

Feel free to insert your editor of choice.  :)

| As a general rule for any version of emacs, ever since first released,
| find out how much memory the largest machine shipping at the time of
| its releease could possibly have, then double.  Once it was only
| *Eight* Megs And Constant Swapping . . .

Yes, i know.  :)  But i've been told by many people whom i greatly respect
that i should give it a try.  I saw a quote recently

You can't really hate something so powerful and flexible as Emacs,
despite its bloat.

So, i decided to find out for myself.  I am fascinated by the lisp concept,
and how stable the system is as a result.

Jonathon
--
When I die, I want to go in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming, like the passengers in his car.