Date:      Sun, 31 Oct 2010 08:16:13 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: no spaces ....

On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 23:58:31 -0700, Gary Kline <kline@thought.org> wrote:
> Looks like the spacebar on my clicky keyboard is busted.  Same thing
> on FBSD as on the desktop [[ubuntu]]].  I'm typing this on my
> laptop.  Seems like every other key works.

You can remap one of the unused advertising keys (those that
are for "Windows" to be an additional space key.

The keycode should be 115 or 116 or similar. I can't check as
I do not own ANY keyboard with "Windows" keys on it. You can
easily find it out by (installing and) running

	% xev

and pressing those keys - the number will then be displayed,
and by default, a key symbol should be assigned. Here's an
example:

KeyPress event, serial 27, synthetic NO, window 0x1200001,
    root 0x73, subw 0x0, time 18453834, (43,160), root:(203,623),
    state 0x10, keycode 115 (keysym 0xffe7, Meta_L), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyRelease event, serial 27, synthetic NO, window 0x1200001,
    root 0x73, subw 0x0, time 18453902, (43,160), root:(203,623),
    state 0x18, keycode 115 (keysym 0xffe7, Meta_L), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XFilterEvent returns: False

This is the left Meta key on the Sun USB keyboard I'm currently
using: Its keycode is 115, the symbol currently assigned is Meta_L.

If you would want to make that an additional space "bar", create
~/.xmodmaprc and code

	keycode 115 = space

Your X startup file (~/.xinitrc or ~/.xsession) should load this
file if present:

	[ -f ~/.xmodmaprc ] && xmodmap ~/.xmodmaprc

This would be a simple workaround for nonworking keys.

> Another thing is that the ctl key seems not to work.  IF I type
> A ^c I get c.  ^D yields simply d.

Same here,

	keycode 115 = Control_L
	keycode 116 = space

could be a temporary solution.

> Is here any chance this can be a
> software glitch?

Could be possible - I've experienced something similar with a
nonworking left shift key, or keys stuck in "control mode".
A bit "hammering" on the keyboard and some focus-shifting
solved the problem. It does happen once a few months and is
not predictable. Maybe some USB issue? Polling?

> Can't see how tho since I can KVM button from
> a konsoleon tao [desktop] to an xterm on ethic....  No spacebar.

So switching over from one system to another does keep the
problem... maybe a mechanical or electrical problem caused
by the keyboard?

> Suggestions?  This might be time to buy a USB "clicky" kybd.

In any case, try to check with "xev" and see what - IF - really
happens when pressing keys.

I can recommend the Sun USB keyboard (I have model 6 here, but
model 7 should be fine, too). It's not IBM clicky quality, of
course. It's not clicky at all. But it's very comfortable and
feels still good in use. The 2x5 plus 1 extra keys on the left
and the 4 on the right are wonderful add-ons - fully programmable
and usable (I use them for window sizing, rolling, focusing,
and starting programs, as well as for volume control, lock
session, log out and shutdown); Compose is also a nice feature,
as well as the real Meta keys. You can get them for cheap
via eBay, for example. Pay attention to get a USB model - you
won't be able to use the regular serial ones (with the round
plug) on a PC.

This is the only USB keyboard I have. All other systems use
PS/2 IBM keyboards intendedly. Never had a problem with them,
even after Cola shower and disassembly. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany