Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 1996 21:20:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: arrrgh, this was working Sunday...

On Wed, 3 Jan 1996, Gary Kline wrote:

> Last Sunday I  managed to auto-retrieve the file cnews.tar.Z
> by typing ``make'' in the /cdrom/ports dir.  Now, while trying
> to build elm, this happened:
>
> >> elm2.4.tar.Z doesn't seem to exist on this system.
> >> Attempting to fetch from ftp://dsinc.myxa.com/pub/elm/
> dsinc.myxa.com: gethostbyname herror (2):  Host name lookup failure
> >> Attempting to fetch from ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/ports/distfiles/
> ftp.freebsd.org: gethostbyname herror (2):  Host name lookup failure
> >> Couldn't fetch it - please try to retreive this
> >> port manually into /usr/ports/distfiles and try again.
> *** Error code 1
>
> What did I do?   I remember adding some lines to /etc/sysconfig and
> two new sites to /etc/resolv.conf.  When I do a `ps ax' I see
> ncftp trying to retrieve the elm tar file...
>
> Ideas, net gurus???
>
> gary kline

Gary, I usually get this when I've screwed up my resolv.conf.  You could
check it pretty easily, by trying to ping one of the sites.  Two very
likley possibilities are that 1) you have a bad address for a nameserver
and a backup nameserver in your /etc/resolv.conf or 2) your default route
to the world, even for your access to your nameserver, is gone.  Check
the last by doing a netstat -rn (don't forget the -rn) to examine your
routing tables.

Chuck Robey chuckr@eng.umd.edu -- I run FreeBSD on n3lxx and Journey2
The Dilbert Zone is Dilbert's new WWW home! The area
features never-before-seen original sketches of Dilbert, a photo tour
of Scott Adams' studio, Dilbert Trivia and memorabilia, high
school photos and much more!:
<URL:http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/>;