Date:      Wed, 4 Sep 1996 08:51:59 -0500
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        paul@nation-net.com, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: arp info overwritten

> Is this message anything to worry about?
> The 2 IPs are machines in our class C.
>
>  arp info overwritten for 194.159.125.100 by 00:05:02:44:5f:d1
>  arp info overwritten for 194.159.125.110 by 00:05:02:54:3f:54
>
> Thanks, Paul Walsh.

Well, it depends on if you use those machines or not ;-)

You've got two pairs of machines using IP addresses 194.159.125.100
and 194.159.125.110.  You see this happen a lot on Windows machines
and Macs in which users can modify the IP addresses.  Either that or
poor administration.

We've got a couple of FreeBSD PCs sitting in a building full of PCs
and Macs in the same subnet.  We see this happen at least once a
month and logged by our FreeBSD PCs.  Usually we can determine
which machines are at fault by using tcpdump on the affected
ethernet MAC addresses and by browsing shared DIRs (and similar
things on a Mac).  When tcpdump starts spewing a lot of info,
then you've browsed the right machine.  With this method, you
either need a Windows and/or Mac next to your FreeBSD box, or
someone else to help you (one to look at tcpdump output and
another to browse the Windows/Mac systems.

I don't know any other way of doing it (unless the adminstrators
have a list of all the machines and their MAC addresses).  Maybe
there's a better way?

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.interWorks.org