Date:      Thu, 21 Oct 2010 13:54:47 +0000
From:      Alexander Best <arundel@freebsd.org>
To:        Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: set kern.cam.scsi_delay to 2000ms on all platforms

On Thu Oct 21 10, Scott Long wrote:
> Ok, I've gotta be a stick in the mud and ask you how you've come to the conclusion that 2000 is better than 5000.  Can you provide your evidence and/or testing results?

i'm running with kern.cam.scsi_delay set to 2000 and haven't experienced any
timeout issues. my original patch lowered kern.cam.scsi_delay to 5000, but
after receiving some feedback on freebsd-current@ [1] i was under the
impression that the majority of people responding to my post considered 5000 to
be too high. Matthew Jacob e.g. wrote that even 2 seconds is more than enough
even for older hardware. John Baldwin also seemed to agree with lowering the
timeout value to 2 seconds.

this timeout value is not intended to wait for devices to initialize upon boot
time. kern.cam.boot_delay must be set in that case. it only applies to the
timeout of already succussefully initialzed devices.

cheers.
alex

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org/msg158316.html