Date:      Thu, 7 Jan 1999 14:47:29 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Hidetoshi Shimokawa <simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mesa3 on alpha

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Hidetoshi Shimokawa wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a difficulty with compiling Mesa3 port on alpha.
> (Now, 47 ports depend on Mesa3!)
>
> gcc -c -I. -I../include -O2 -fPIC -pedantic -I/usr/X11R6/include -DSHM -DHZ=100 readpix.c -o readpix.o
> gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 6
> *** Error code 1
>
> Because stock cc (with and without Doug's patch) sometimes die
> when we specifies "-O" or "-O2".
>
> One solution is override CFLAGS not to use -O?, another solution is
> to use egcs or gcc2.8. I have successed compiling Mesa3 with egcs on my
> machine.
>
> There are many ports which have same cc problem.
> You can find them at:
>
> http://www.sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~simokawa/alpha/logs/index.html
> http://www.sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~simokawa/alpha/logs/index2.html
> (sorted by Reason)
>
> The "gcc" in "Reason" fields means this problem.
>
> Any comments?

I think that the right way to go here is to change system compilers to
something more modern but that would be fairly hard :-)  How hard would it
be to make Mesa3 depend on the egcs port?

For what its worth, RedHat 5.0 (which used gcc 2.7.2.3) built Mesa without
optimisations.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com