Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 2004 23:51:00 +0100
From:      "Andrew Seguin" <asegu@borgtech.ca>
To:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Curiosity in IPFW/Freebsd bridge.

Hello, First off, a great thanks to this list who pointed out my =
hardware
issue (rl series cards). I now have the bridge on two Intel Pro NICS and =
use the on-board sis card for console access, and my average ping time =
is a
2ms average to the router, passing about a solid 2MB/s.

=20

My current situation is that it seems IPFW is filtering by IP address, =
but
never matching an IP address/Port number combo (ex: =93deny ip from IP =
to any=94
works, but =93deny ip from IP to any 80=94 does not work).

=20

The firewall rules are as follows:

#1. Allow all SSH traffic until rules are down safe.

ipfw add 1 allow ip from any to LOCAL_IP 22

#ipfw add 100 TEST (either =93deny ip from any to any=94 or =93deny ip =
from any to
any 80=94).

ipfw add 500 pipe 1 ip from any to any

ipfw pipe 1 config bw 20480Kbit/s

default> allow ip from any to any

=20

The setup is as follows in rc.conf:

Ifconfig_fxp0=3D=94up=94

Ifconfig_fxp1=3D=94up=94

Ifconfig_sis0=3D=94LOCAL_IP=85=94

=20

And in sysctl.conf:

net.link.ether.bridge.enable=3D1

net.link.ether.bridge.config=3Dfxp0,fxp1

net.link.ether.bridge.ipfw=3D1

=20

Kernel has been built with IPFW and DUMMYNET. Freebsd 5.3 (RELENG_5,
cvsupdated and recompiled about a week ago).

=20

The server was working fine when I had it filtering between two switches
(secondary to primary). I was having web/email/irc traffic bypass the =
pipe,
and used the pipe to limit the speed of those who use P2P. Now, I have =
this
situation with the firewall between the main switch and the router.

I really need to get this working for this purpose again fast or else =
I=92ll
have a repeat of an earlier =93internal=94 DoS, so any and all tips, =
comments,
pointers would be greatly appreciated!

=20

I wonder if it is because I haven=92t assigned an IP address on the fxp =
facing
the inside network=85? Haven=92t had the time to try this yet (11:50pm =
local
time!) since I don=92t remember which fxp card is facing =
internal/external and
so I will try in the morning.

=20

Again, many thanks!