Date:      Fri, 13 Oct 1995 14:48:56 +1000 (EST)
From:      raoul@cssc-syd.tansu.com.au (Raoul Golan)
To:        rjs@critter.clark.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xcdplayer and reading the TOC

Ages ago, at the beginning of the year, Ron Steele wrote the following
in freebsd-questions:

> I am still trying to get a cd player to work on 2.0R.  I compiled xcdplayer
> (with the patches for FreeBSD) with debug and stepped through the
> code with gdb to see where it is failing.  The drive is opened and the
> tocheader is read and the values in it look reasonable, but the ioctl to
> read the toc entries fails and returns an error code which indicates that
> the drive is not configured.  I would really like to get this to work, but
> I don't have a clue as to how to go about debugging the kernel.  Any
> suggestions about what might be wrong, or of a way to debug this  without
> having to learn more than I really want to about kernel debugging?

Well, months later, now that 2.0.5 has been released, I find that this is
still the case!  Did you Ron, or someone else, manage to come up with a fix?

The existing mcd audio driver has some problems with it:

1. the TOC entries are read incorrectly, the ioctl writes to the wrong area
of memory, causing memory faults in the application

2. if the drive door is open, it is closed by the driver whenever the
device is opened by a process (causing lots of problems for software
like xcdplayer which open the device regularly for updates - you can't
keep the door open long enough to change disks!)

3. the volume controls do not work.

I've managed to fix 1. and 2., and I'm currently adding 3 (using
the Linux driver as a guide).  Now I find that someone else has
experienced the same thing.  Was there any work done on this?
I'd rather not have to patch my kernel myself if there's already
a patch for me out there.

Thanks,

Raoul