Date:      Tue, 16 Apr 1996 21:24:29 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        support@cdrom.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Microchannel? (fwd)

> > I recently purchased FreeBSD 2.1 without noticing that microchannel bus
> > PC's were not listed under system requirements. Does this mean it will
> > be impossible, extremely difficult, or achievable if I try to install
> > this on an mc based machine?
>
> Totally impossible at this point.  IBM won't release documentation on
> the MCA, so it's not possible to write code to support it.

Mike, you're in left field on this one, buddy!  8-).

MCA is well documented.

THere was even a version of 1.1.5.1 that ran on MCA using ABIOS
for some theings and a native SCSI driver for others!

I could dig out the references for you, but you could didg them out
of the list archives yourself just as easily.

The current (4.4 based) version of FreeBSD doesn't support MCA at
all, but it would be on the order of adding PCI support to make
it work, either using the existing MACH code, or using some other
approach.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---