Date:      11 Mar 2000 12:41:03 +0100
From:      naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: console friendly motherboard/BIOS ?

<matt@msg.ucsf.edu> wrote:

> originally i thought i would get a PC Weasel to turn my FreeBSD server
> into something i could >really< manage from the console.

Branching off my own set of concerns:

* Has anybody so far actually successfully ordered a PC Weasel?
  I've been told that it would become available RSN, next quarter,
  next month, etc for what must be the better part of a year.  A
  few days ago it still said "inquire" on their website.

* I've heard rumors that (some) modern BIOSes don't support
  MDA any longer. Any experiences there?

* Finally, ISA is really being phased out. At this year's CeBIT
  many board manufacturers displayed Athlon boards (I didn't look
  at the Intel ones) that were PCI/AGP only, without any ISA slots.
  Actually I appreciate that move, but it kills the current Weasel.

> can anyone suggest a motherboard/BIOS that does this?  i'm not
> picky about the CPU, any current models would likely be plenty
> fast.

Sure. Take any alpha board with SRM. Since SRM is required to run
BSD in the first place, any supported alpha will do.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de