Date:      Wed, 28 May 2014 15:40:05 -0400
From:      Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What is difference between loading module with loader and loading module wtih kldload?

--jqOL7CTk9kPF6PIm87VOE4EBmLDlJKbIh

On 2014-05-28 15:35, Lokadamus wrote:
> Am 25.02.2014 22:31, schrieb Lev Serebryakov:
>> Hello, Hackers.
>>
>>    I've upgraded my fileserver to 10-STABLE and got very strange (but
>>   very-very painful) problem, which I could not reproduce on virtual
>> machine
>>   (VirtualBox).
>>
>>   I'm using geom_raid5 module (and I'm its maintainer, yes) and
>> module, built
>> for 10-STABLE (after world & kernel build & install & reboot), and loa=
ded
>> via /boot/loader.conf is reason to almost instant crash after boot.
>> Sometimes system mounts filesystems before crash and sometimes not.
>> Most of
>> time it is "page write: page not present", in different places. PS/2
>> keyboard is always blocked after that, I could not drop to debugger. N=
>> memory dump performed. Several times it turend off video output (!) ri=
ght
>> after crash.
> Can you find some hint?:
> https://www.google.de/search?q=3Dpage+write%3A+page+not+present
>=20
>>   But if I boot without this module, drop to single-user mode, load
>> module
>> with kldload and continue booting with "exit" everything work smoothly=

>> for
>> hours!
>>
>>   I understand, that it it some incompatibility between module new
>> kernel,
>> but I could not reproduce it on VirtualBox instance, and I'm puzzled,
>> that
>> this crash does not occur if module loaded by kldload! Maybe, here is
>> some
>> hint in this?
>>
> Greetings
rg"

Is it possible it is loading the kernel from a different /boot than the
module?

If you were booting a newer kernel, and at loader.conf it the /boot was
from somewhere different than it is once you get to single user mode,
that might explain.

This problem has happened to me once or twice when I've done off things
with my disks, like mirroring a dying drive and forgetting that it would
still try to boot off of it even after I'd switched fstab to use the new
drive.

--=20
Allan Jude