Date:      7 Jun 1999 05:58:31 -0000
From:      Yusuf Goolamabbas <yusufg@outblaze.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Are these untar times appropiate ?

3.2-STABLE

System: Dual P3/500 with 512MB RAM with Adapatec 2049U2W controller
connected to two disks (9GB and 18GB). 18GB is a Seagate ST 318275LW
camcontrol shows that this is capable of 80 MB/s with Tagged Queuing
Enabled

I have a tar file of around 1.6 GB. The directory tree is not very
deep

These are the times I am getting for untar the tar file on the 18GB
disk. Also, times for rm -rf of the directory created

Softupdates enabled
                Real          User            Sys
untar:       13043.72        14.19           434.53
rm -rf         7036.8          8.05          172.84

I looked at the results from iostat in another virtual console and I
was getting around 0.8 MB/s. Top was showing the machine mostly idle
in CPU usage

Mounting with async mode (single user mode)

untar:      10799           13.17          462.69
rm -rf:     6537             7.82          259.64

The normal sync mode took quite a while also. I seem to have misplaced
the numbers

As a totally unscientific comparision. These are the untar times of
glibc-2.1.1 on a softupate system

glibc untar:      49             1            3.66
glibc rm -rf      2.06          0.05          0.88

Are these times appropiate ? Is there any way to make the untar go
faster. What does 80 MB/s really mean in real-life ?

Cheers, Yusuf
--
Yusuf Goolamabbas
yusufg@outblaze.com