Date:      Fri, 20 Nov 1998 00:20:04 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>
To:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   EGCS announces steering committee (ie, core team)

There is now another Open Software group that is following BSD's
"Politburo" organization.  On November 10, 1998 the EGCS steering
committee was announced.  They say:

    From its initial conception, the egcs project has strived to organize
    itself in a manner which prevents any particular individual or
    company from having control over the project.

    To that end, when the project was formed several individuals were
    contacted to make decisions for the egcs project.  These individuals
    come from a variety of backgrounds and represent various groups with
    an interest in the long term health of GCC.

    We feel it is in the best interest of the egcs project at this time
    to turn this informal group into an official steering committee, and
    to make public its membership.

    The primary purpose of the steering committee is to make major
    decisions in the best interests of the egcs project and to ensure
    that the project adheres to its fundamental principles found in the
    project's mission statement.

"steering committee" is just a fancier market-speak for "core team".
So the next time someone in the "Bazaar" criticizes BSD for our management
organization, point out their compiler is organized the same way.

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com  -or-  obrien@FreeBSD.org)