Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 2002 09:20:34 -0400
From:      Dan Pelleg <daniel+bsd@pelleg.org>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Thinkpad overheating when talking to a D-Link wireless AP

I noticed that my -STABLE thinkpad X23 gets very hot when talking to a
D-LINK DWL900-AP but not to other access points. It will get uncomfortably
hot, and the fan would go to high (loud) mode. I have never managed to
otherwise get the laptop into this condition no matter how hard I work it,
and even when talking to other access points.

The heating seems to be correlated with heavy wireless network activity,
such as fast web surfing or an xterm showing a buildworld in progress (on a
remote machine). If the laptop just sits there, turned on, even with
Mozilla and the xterm (silent) open, it will eventually cool down.

I get this regardless of how many feet or ceilings there are between me and
the access point. I'm usually getting the 11Mb/s speed although it will
sometimes negotiate it down to 5.5 or 2. Forcing the card to low speed does
not help, either.

I've tried to crank the signal strength on the AP up (with
ap-utils/ap-atmel), but that didn't help.

Now the funny part is that on university campus, where there are many
Lucent APs, this never happens. I can use the wireless network for as long
as I want, as hard as I can, and it will never put the fan on high. I've
also used it outside, so it's not an ambient temperature issue :)

The card is a Lucent ORiNOCO silver.

Any ideas? Any settings I can tweak to help prevent this?