Date:      10 Jun 1998 20:40:31 -0400
From:      mycroft@mit.edu (Charles M. Hannum)
To:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        dg@root.com, thorpej@nas.nasa.gov, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, core@FreeBSD.ORG, cgd@netbsd.org, ross@netbsd.org, core@netbsd.org
Subject:   Re: Copyright infringement in FreeBSD/alpha

"John S. Dyson" <dyson@freebsd.org> writes:

> Charles M. Hannum said:
> >
> > I suppose that depends on how far back you want to go.  I distinctly
> > recall another case of code being copied without retaining a notice,
> > and I was personally flamed quite vehemently when I mentioned it in in
> > a private forum.  I can't claim there are more -- though I do wonder
> > -- because I haven't paid much attention to FreeBSD code since then.
> >
> > At any rate, this discussion can only lead to more flames.
> >
> I remember something about that, but the allegations were very
> very untrue.  I even witnessed the evolution of the code in question.
> At best, the allegation was a mistake.

That's *not* true.  In the case in question, the code was *clearly*
copied, and in fact a notice was later added -- but only after
repeated insults and harassment by you, Garrett and Rod.  Indeed, at
one point I was told that a superset of the code had had my copyright
notice removed and was sent to the Copyright Office to be registered
under someone else's name (an allegation which itself appears to have
been false).