Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2001 22:37:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Anybody working on devd?

Again, this seems wrong to me, but maybe I'm just lacking sleep right now. It
seems to me that permissions set by the driver are meaningless if you then
want the userland daemon to set 'real' policy- remember that there's a time
gap between creating the node (in the driver) and the userland daemon setting
the 'real' mode.

Seems to me that you should then go further (if the device driver isn't really
the owner of mode setting)- make this a ring system where drivers create nodes
that only other entities in the kernel see- but it becomes a userland devd
that makes them visible to the user applications. More like solaris or the AIX
model (I *think* for the latter- just inferring from what I see from user
space - haven't seen AIX source code).

-matt