Date:      Thu, 3 Aug 1995 22:11:24 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        erich@lodgenet.com (Eric L. Hernes)
Cc:        terry@cs.weber.edu, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: device driver writers guide

> > One of the issues in BSD is lack of documentation for internal
> > system interfaces.  VM would be a good place to start, as would
> > vn_ for kernel level file I/O and bXXX, the block I/O interface.
> >

> Yea, but lack of documentation is a problem for all unixes.
> Sco, even though you can pay for a device driver class, and
> they have man pages for kernel support routines, still
> is about 80% of what I would have liked.  (that is still
> much better than FreeBSD, though)

And they have a nice little booklet called the 'Device
drivers writers guide' (if memory serves). I heavily used
it when writing a striping package for SCO.

Unfortunately, it is all but complete. We needed the SCO
kernel sources to get things working. Luckily we had a
src license..

The list you mention of things to be doc-ed looks
reasonably like the index of the SCO book as I remember it.

Another point of inspiration might be the 'Integrated
software development guide' that came with SysV/386 rel 3.2
There is probably a newer one for SysV4

> > 					Terry Lambert
>
> erich@lodgenet.com

Wilko