Date:      Mon, 16 Apr 2001 16:24:41 -0500
From:      Noah Dunker <ndunker@jccc.net>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: firewall+router:Free or Open

I've used both.  If I'm gonna make a stand-alone box that's going to be
maintenance-free, especially one that I'm not going to be in posession of
(like a firewall for a friend or someone less skilled in UNIX and I don't
want 'em messing with it) I usually build it off FreeBSD and lock everything
down.  sometimes I'll put a fake finger daemon on that "draws the finger for
them"  :) on it.

At home, I'm using FreeBSD.  I'm moving in with My Fiancee though (getting
married saturday!!!) and she's just started running OpenBSD on her firewall
and she thinks it's the better way to go.  "it's more secure" is kind of a
moot point when you are going to shut off EVERYTHING though.  ipfw is sooo
much slicker than OpenBSD's ipf, and with all the config files for IPFilter
on OpenBSD... It's more secure out of the box, but building a
firewall/router (especially a PPP/Dialup router) it's just more practical to
use FreeBSD to start with, and tweek it as you need...

By the way... OPENBSD adorns my license plates on my car... so I'm
definitely an OpenBSD/Net-Security zealot, but FreeBSD is just a better
starting point for this sort of thing.  FreeBSD and OpenBSD are basically
one in the same, with different viewpoints taken on kernel development and
userland packaging.  I'll see how my soon-to-be-wife's firewall works, and
I'll definitely be looking forward to getting CableModem in a month or so,
when the both of us can afford it!

My opinion would probably differ significantly if it were going to be a
bastion host or corporate firewall/IPSec-vpn setup.

Noah Dunker
Systems Analyst/Technician
Johnson County Community College