Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 01:40:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Hoskins <mike@snafu.adept.org>
To:        "Andrey E. Lerman" <lae@uniyar.ac.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: info on suid/sgid files

On Wed, 11 Aug 1999, Andrey E. Lerman wrote:

> It would be nice if info about need of increased privileges
> needed for given program would be clearly stated in manpage.

I'm not sure how much info is needed about increased privileges...
There's a lot of writeups (CERT's security checklist and an article I did
for the FreeBSD 'Zine to name a couple) that already say 'If you don't
need it ... turn it off'.  Beyond saying that, I'd hope the admin could...

 Type: find / \( -perm -2000 -o -perm -4000 \) -print > audit.log
       more audit.log

Think: 'I only need foo, I'll chmod the others appropriately.'

Man pages generally do mention files they need/use...  From which you can
decide which users or groups need access to what files for a system to
function appropriately.

						-Mike