Date:      Tue, 30 Nov 1999 14:11:32 +0100 (MET)
From:      Ariel Burbaickij <Ariel.Burbaickij@mni.fh-giessen.de>
To:        keramida@ceid.upatras.gr
Cc:        Ariel Burbaickij <Ariel.Burbaickij@mni.fh-giessen.de>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: row of questions to different parts of fbsd

On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, d e a t h wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 29, 1999 at 07:42:31PM +0100, Ariel Burbaickij wrote:
>
> > 1) I cannot run netscape3.04 as user...
>
> Does that mean that you can run it as the superuser?
  Yeap it does mean it.
> > What steps are neccesary to bring netscape running from user accounts?
  The problem is :I get connection denied as soon as I try to use it
  as user on all hosts.As soon as I activate connection as superuser
  it works.

> Use locate(1) to find where `netscape' exists on your system, and check
> if the permissions allow execution by everyone.  Then make sure that
> the directory where the binary is in the PATH, and if not add it to the
> PATH or symlink the binary to a directory that already is.
>
> > 2)I cannot run doom...
>
> Dunno, never have run the thing myself either.  But, then again, I
> never tried to ;)
>
> > /dev/dsp could  not open (I got some advises that this message is maybe
> >                     somehow related to absence of soundcard on my
> >                     computer)
>
> Yes, most of the time a soundcard is mandatory for /dev/dsp to be
> working properly.  Doesn't doom have some option to turn off sound
> support, so all the users of the world will be able to happily run it?
>
> > Kernel Linux support is enabled.

> How is this related to the questions above?  Are you running a linux
> version of Netscape, or a linux version of doom, or (perhaps) neither?
  I TRY to run doom version of linux :)) Feel the difference between TRY
  and run :)).I switched off sound ,switched to 8bpp what I got was
  rather horrible I guess window was about 9*13 and the thing was
  constantly loosing its colormap ,producing something that is hard
  to describe :some clutches hued in mostly in blue with some includings
  of yellow.

  kind regards,
  Ariel
> --
> Giorgos Keramidas, <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
> "What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing." [Aristotle]
   Ethica Nicomachea as I guess :))