Date:      Tue, 15 May 2007 00:16:34 -0500
From:      WizLayer <wizlayer@gmail.com>
To:        jekillen <jekillen@prodigy.net>
Cc:        "FreeBSD, Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Auto shutdown/restart software for FreeBSD?

--nextPart3652408.oyKeYqPATp

On Monday 14 May 2007 08:27:48 pm you wrote:
> On May 13, 2007, at 7:13 PM, WizLayer wrote:
> > On Sunday 13 May 2007 07:17:14 pm Aftab Jahan Subedar wrote:
> >> Would it recharge the battery fully after discharge? I dont think so.
> >> So you got to  recharge the external battery EXTERNALLY after power
> >> failure.
> >
> > What's wrong with that?  Trickle-charge the battery and ride the
> > computers
> > from the battery at the same time...  That's an uninterrupted power
> > supply.
> > A voltage regulator, converter, and a few filters will give you a
> > clean,
> > constant supply.  It will last longer, and it's a lot cheaper in
> > comparison.
> >
> > Actually, this is a project of mine that's been on the back burner for
> > years
> > now.  I'd like to add a network interface for remote controls, some
> > health
> > checking, and test modes, but would have to incorporate an embedded
> > processor
> > (serial port and/or USB interfaces are just as possible).
> >
> > Being that I've never messed with such, any suggestions as far as a
> > good
> > processor to start with?  It doesn't necessarily have to be a
> > processor that
> > will do the whole kit-n-kaboodle.  Right now, I'm just looking for
> > something
> > I can learn the basics with.
> >
> > I know it's not a BSD-related question, but I figured I'd ask anyway.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > WizLayer
>
> This is another approach that seems like it would be practical:
> Use deep cycle car batteries, trickle charge with solar panels.
> If a desktop computer can run on square wave generated by
> dc/ac converter, use that as a power backup system, It would
> have to have some kind of switching system to detect main
> power drop and switch to the backup system.
> Perhaps someone would be willing to, with engineering expertise
> put together servers that would work on laptop batteries, like a
> laptop. I do have one machine that has Yellow Dog linux (Mac
> Powerbook 3400c) that runs 24/7 as my backup DNS server.
> JK

Why settle for a square wave?  It's not hard to clean that up, and besides.=
=2E. =20
Wouldn't that bring mayhem and havoc on a scanner (ie, I'm pretty sure that=
=20
you your screen would do very unhappy things)?  LCD screen? don't know.  (o=
r=20
a system's power supply over long term?  hmmm)

As far as the type of batteries, deep cycle marine batteries, whatever.  It=
=20
doesn't really matter except to say that some types can be fully discharged=
=20
and some would be ruined on a full discharge.  The health and monitoring=20
portion of the UPS would have to be designed with those limits in mind (and=
,=20
hey...  That could be part of the embedded mprocessors job, too...  more=20
options).

Switching power from one source to another is something that I've not had a=
=20
lot of  luck with, esp with sensitive stuff like a computer's power supply=
=20
(touchy).  On the other hand clean, dc power in a parallel circuit is as=20
simple as it gets.  Edison had a good idea after all. =20

Look at the battery as your constant source, and work away from that.  Your=
=20
secondary source merely compliments the battery.  So long as you use=20
regulators for your "other sources", it will stay "Clean by default."  :)

As far as switching power sources from regular charger to something like so=
lar=20
panels, same concept...  Don't switch from-to anything.  Keep it constantly=
=20
hooked up in parallel with the battery. =20

Some simple logics could perform circuits acts for the solar panels ("if su=
n=20
is good and elec_co's bad , then close..."  however you want to hack it.) =
=20
Same for dis/associating the charger.=20

I just need someone to point me in the right direction as far as embedded=20
mprocessors.  I've googled it, and found a few hobby kits, but I'd rather=20
hear it from someone who deals with stuff like this and can suggest a "star=
t=20
here."  I hate jumping into something only to have to unlearn in order to=20
learn it right.=20

WizLayer

PS  When I finally get this finished, I'm going to find some way of modifyi=
ng=20
the BSD license to apply it and release the whole thing to the public.  One=
=20
would only have to buy the parts, program, and assemble the thing...  Why? =
=20
Because UPS prices are a rip-off and some jerk told me I couldn't.  :)

=2D-=20

Life is better with a BSD.
=46or more info, www.bsd.org.