Date:      Tue, 17 Nov 2009 13:27:20 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?D=E1nielisz_L=E1szl=F3?= <laszlo_danielisz@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hdd voltage

> On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 09:43:04 -0800 (PST), D=E1nielisz L=E1szl=F3 <laszlo_=
danielisz@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I'm looking for a tool to measure the exactly power consumiton
> > (voltage and amper) of my hdd, cpu and ram on FreeBSD.=20
> > Do you have any idea?
>=20
> Not exactly every item, but there are tools in the ports,
> such as mbmon and xmbmon that allow you to monitor several
> voltages (as well as other parameters, such as temperature
> or fan speed, if they are transmitted to the OS).
>=20
> By the way, I'm not sure the issue you described points
> to too less power; my workstation is full of hard disks
> and old SCSI stuff, and I'm fine with a 235 W PSU (no
> joke) in long-term usage and I/O stress situations.

Not all power supplies are created equal.  Unfortunately, there's
no government oversight on power supply ratings, thus a cheap 450W
power supply might go unstable if it has to supply 200W for very
long, whereas a good quality 200W power supply might be able to
put out 450W for short periods reliably.

Additionally, are you sure your service power is good?  Even the
best power supply will fail if you're not getting 120V/60H at the
outlet (or whatever voltage/freq you're supposed to get in your part
of the world).

Not a direct answer to your question, but hopefully some useful
information to consider.

--=20
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com