Date:      Tue, 27 Apr 1999 06:58:14 +0100
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        Juha.Nurmela@quicknet.inet.fi
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: brooktree driver problems??

Juha

I agree that the bktr_intr() codes attempt to work out if the interrupt
was
ODD or EVEN is a bit of a cludge and we should be modifying the risc
program
to use the special signal bits.

I found all this recently when writing the VBI support for teletext
capture.

> I got so confused about the even/odd things.
> Does VRE _follow_ even field ?

Yes it does. The bt878 datasheet contradicts itself but I wrote a test
find the real meaning.

VRE is at the END of the even field. VRO is at the end of the odd field.

> Which field produces the first visible scanline ?

In PAL, the odd field is transmitted first, then the even.
So a RISC program should be
grab to odd data buffer, check for VRO, grab to even data, check for VRE

> Circles in still pictures look correct but moving objects
> generate an effect which led me to think the fields are
> from differing frames (maybe this is just the way television works ?)

The fields (odd and even) are "sampled" in the camera 1/50th of a second
appart.
On a real TV, the phosphor from the odd lines has faded away before the
even lines
are drawn. Of course this does not happen on a VGA screen, so you see
each moving object
in two positions.

> Can we get vbi data without the corresponding field of pixel data ?
Not sure what you mean, but I have preliminary VBI capture on my site
now.
http://telepresence.dmem.strath.ac.uk/bt848

Do you mean "get VBI from even and odd fields, but just video from the
odd field?"
If so, in theory yes. But the RISC program I wrote did not work right. I
kept getting
interrputs due to an error in executing the RISC program.

Bye
Roger