Date:      Thu, 3 Jan 2002 12:20:31 +0100
From:      Geraud CONTINSOUZAS <geraud.continsouzas@dipp.net>
To:        gnome@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Port: nautilus-1.0.6

Dear Mr. gnome,

First of all, I would like to wish you a happy new year. Ok, now, let's talk about business. I'm new in the FreeBSD world, so I don't really know if sending a mail about an issue in installing-using a port is the right thing to do. Pliz let me know if this is a mistake.

Anyway, to make a long story short : I've kicked Windows out of my box, installed a minimal FreeBSD 4.4, updated the port tree, installed (in this order) XFree86-4.1.0_10, enlightenment-0.16.5_5 and the x11/gnome-1.4.1b2_1 "meta-port". For the most of it, I don't complain : everything's fine. The only annoying thing is that nautilus never started. When I try to launch it, here's what I get (ps waux) :

<-- snip -->
geraud 23540  8.9  3.5 17584 9144  ??  Ss   11:49AM   0:03.12 nautilus
geraud 24169  7.4  2.9 16088 7368  ??  S    11:50AM   0:00.26 nautilus-throbber --oaf-activate-iid=OAFIID:nautilus_throbber_factory --oaf-ior-fd=12
geraud 24215  2.0  0.6  1908 1544  ??  R    11:50AM   0:00.02 /usr/X11R6/bin/gconfd-1 18

And then, a window pops up telling me the gconf daemon can't be reached, and further errors will come on the console

Eel-WARNING **: GConf error:
  Failed to create pipe for communicating with spawned gconf daemon: Too many open files in system

And, now I'm lost. So do you have any idea about what I could do? Do I need to send you more infos? As I told you, I'm pretty new in this wonderful Unix world, and I'm not really sure that the next command line I'll type won't crash my system. But if I can do anything to help, I'm here. Oh, and on the other hand, if I'm THAT dumb that I made a huge and obvious config error or that I made something wrong fell free to yell at me too. :)

I just hope, I didn't bother you too much with my mail. And once again : Happy New Year

Sincerely yours,
Geraud CONTINSOUZAS
gej@dipp.net

PS : Oh, I forgot, please apologize my awful, low-leveled english. Thanks a lot. :)