Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 1997 11:26:04 -0800
From:      obrien@NUXI.com (David O'Brien)
To:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu (Chuck Robey)
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org (FreeBSD ports list), hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: conditionally including <sys/param.h>

Chuck Robey writes:
> On Wed, 5 Feb 1997, David O'Brien wrote:
>
> David, I don't understand why you don't want to use __FreeBSD__,
> __NetBSD__, and __OpenBSD__ for non-kernel stuff.

> The __44bsd__ thing doesn't exist, and if you start it, 75% of FreeBSD
> folks and ALL of everyone else in NetBSD and OpenBSD will be out in the
> cold.

True.  But I would only go down this route with the assurance from the
other camps that they would do the same.  When I started this I was with
them all at USENIX and I had easy access to convence them this is a Good
Thing.  Since both NetBSD and OpenBSD pretty much use our ports (and I
think they like not having to throw resources on them), it would be in
their best interests for the return they get.

> I probably misunderstand part, but what functionality will be gained from
> adding __44bsd__?  I want to note that the approach I'm pushing works now
> for Xfree86 just fine.

(note for others, Chuck's approach is use __FreeBSD__, __NetBSD__, and
__OpenBSD__)  Your approach is fine.  I'm just trying to follow the
guidence of the handbook.  I'm thinking of ripping out the verbage on not
using these macros.  They seem to be the only true way of dealing with
this.  If anyone knows who wrote those words, I'd love to start a dialog
with them.

--
-- David	(obrien@NUXI.com  -or-  obrien@FreeBSD.org)