Date:      Tue, 21 May 1996 08:42:34 -0500 (CDT)
From:      ptroot@uswest.com (Paul T. Root)
To:        compland@ism.com.br (Helio Coelho Jr. - CompuLand Informatica)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: message from daily run

In a previous message, Helio Coelho Jr. - CompuLand Informatica said:

> Hi:
>
> I got that message from daily run output in a FreeBSD 2.1R box:
>

> Removing scratch and junk files:
> You did not enable the cleaning of / in /etc/daily!
>
> What that mean ?
>
> Thanks a lot!
> Helio.

This is the pertinent code. It removes core and backup files.
And as you can see from the comment, it isn't safe.

Ignore it, comment it out, or uncomment the find and edit
to taste.

cd /tmp
# This is not safe, you need to decide what is appropriate for your
# system. Leave a warning note for now.
echo "You did not enable the cleaning of / in /etc/daily!"
#
#find / ! -fstype local -a -prune -o \
#       \( -name '[#,]*' -o -name '.#*' -o -name a.out -o -name *.core \
#          -o -name '*.CKP' -o -name '.emacs_[0-9]*' \) \
#               -a -atime +3 -exec rm -f -- {} \;
#

--
Paul T. Root - USWEST !NTERPRISE Networking Service	ptroot@uswest.com

Whoever said, "It's not whether you win or lose that counts,"
probably lost!  -- M. Navratilova