Date:      Thu, 19 Nov 2009 08:14:10 -0600
From:      Karl Denninger <karl@denninger.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: V8.x-PRE2 Serious PUC problem - Heads Up!

--------------070302010300040705080800

Mike Tancsa wrote:
> At 09:00 AM 11/19/2009, Karl Denninger wrote:
>> Well ok then the uart driver is BROKEN.
>>
>> It simply locks up on the port after some period of time, returning
>> nothing.  I have found no way to reset the port other than a reboot
>> either.  That's a "surprise" that people running fax servers and other
>> similar things are going to be very unhappy about.
>
> Which serial card are you using ? I have a number of PCI cards (lava
> for example) that are working quite well with the puc and uart driver
> combo. Perhaps you could post some details about the hardware used
> thats having issues.
>
>         ---Mike
puc0: <Oxford Semiconductor OX16PCI954 UARTs> port
0x4060-0x407f,0x4040-0x405f mem
0x94503000-0x94503fff,0x94502000-0x94502fff irq 16 at device 0.0 on pci3
puc0: [FILTER]
uart2: <16550 or compatible> on puc0
uart2: [FILTER]
uart3: <16550 or compatible> on puc0
uart3: [FILTER]
uart4: <16550 or compatible> on puc0
uart4: [FILTER]
uart5: <16550 or compatible> on puc0
uart5: [FILTER]

It's a generic board with four ports sitting on the PCI bus.  Nothing
special, no smarts, just four 16550 uarts.  Port "0" is on the
motherboard and I am using that to talk to my NMEA clock (using PPS,
which is working).  I also am using one of the "troubled" ports to talk
to an APC UPS, again, without problems.

Trivial and reasonably-trivial applications work fine on the uart/puc
combination.  Hylafax requires correct modem control that is FLAWLESS or
it WILL blow up.  This is an area where smart cards have in the past run
into driver trouble (going back years; I have lots of experience with
driver issues on so-called "smart" cards going back more than a decade
in this sort of application!) and now, it appears that sickness has
translated into the UART driver as well.

The system in question sends hundreds of faxes a day and any sort of
squirrelly driver problems in the serial subsystem show up almost
instantly  (I updated to RC2 on that machine last night and it took less
than an hour for the modems to wedge this morning.)

I tried to flip back to sio() as the driver in GENERIC and it appears
that can't be done, or I'm missing some interdependency somewhere (doing
so throws all sorts of errors related to the include files)

-- Karl

--------------070302010300040705080800--