Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 2001 12:25:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>
To:        mupi@mknet.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Kernel

Mike Porter writes:
> On Sunday 28 January 2001 15:43, Keith Woodman wrote:
>> I think there is some confusion here. In FreeBSD the kernel and the OS
>> version are not seperate as they are in the diluted confusion of Linux
> This isn't entirely a fair comparison, becuase you are comparing a
> "distribution" version to a "complete system" version.  Since the
> term "Linux" itself properly refers only to the kernel,

RMS would have you believe that. He also insists the OS name is "GNU".
The development mailing list is "linux-kernel" though, which would be
redundant if "Linux" only referred to the kernel. (the mailing list
existed long before RMS decided to tag along)

> FreeBSD isn't available in that method, there is only one "distribution"
> if you want to put it in those terms.  Becuase of that, it is fair to
> say that if you are running FreeBSD version 4.2, then that is your
> kernel version. And just like with linux, if you upgrade the kernel
> (say, to -stable) it is possible to break the system.

No, to put it in Linux terms correctly:
     FreeBSD 4.2 is a BSD distribution using the 4.4 kernel.

The distribution-specific changes just happen to be rather large
and numerous. This is because UCB hasn't released a new kernel in
a very long time and isn't about to do so.