Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 2008 07:38:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Pedro Giffuni <pfgshield-freebsd@yahoo.com>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>, freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Cc:        Oliver Fromme <olli@fromme.com>
Subject:   Re: Why VESA and DPMS are available only for i386?

(moved from -current to -amd64)

--- Mar 16/9/08, Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au> ha scritto:

> On 2008-Sep-15 13:43:31 -0700, Pedro Giffuni
> <pfgshield-freebsd@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >I can't find any reference, but according to the
> Wikipedia, even in long mode AMD64 is able to run 16-bit (or
> 80286) protected mode applications:
>=20
> AMD64 Architecture Programmer's Manual, Volume 1:
> Application
> Programming - No. 24592 states:
> "Compatibility mode - the second submode of long mode
> - allows 64-bit
>  operating systems to run existing 16-bit and 32-bit x86
>  applications. These legacy applications run in
> compatibility mode
>  without recompilation."
>=20

Thanks!

The precise link is here (sorry for the broken link):

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/245=
92.pdf

in section 1.2.3.

I guess having bios16() and bios32() would be useful for virtualized enviro=
nments too.

oo!?=0APoco spazio e tanto spam? Yahoo! Mail ti protegge dallo spam e ti da=
 tanto spazio gratuito per i tuoi file e i messaggi =0Ahttp://mail.yahoo.it=