Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 12:46:53 +0100 (CET)
From:      Paul Herman <pherman@piro.net>
To:        Gary Jennejohn <garyj@muc.de>
Cc:        Christoph Splittgerber <cs@sdata.de>, FreeBSD-ISDN@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP Auth Problems

Hi all,

On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, Gary Jennejohn wrote:

> Paul Herman writes:
> >Hi Christoph,
> >
> >On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, Christoph Splittgerber wrote:
> >> now I have problems with a WIN95-box dialling in via PPP. This used to run
> >> without any problems!
> >> [...snip!...]
> >
> >You've got the famous "Auth Loop" bug which about 3-4 people reported
> >having (myself included).  I could only connect about 50% of the time.
> >
> >Two solutions have been proposed:
> >   * Use Brian Sommers ppp(8) (aka user-ppp)
> >

> Try applying the patch which Marc van Woerkom posted on 19 Nov 1999.
> You can find it in the mail archive at www.freebsd.org. The subject:
>
> Subject: Infinite loop (sppp/lcp)
>
> I've seen a report that this doesn't necessarily work, but it's worth
> a try.

I woulnd't try this patch, because this also changes all other PPP state
machines, (not just LCP, but IPCP as well!).  I spoke with Marc about a
month ago and we both agreed that this bug isn't on the sppp level, but
most likely is some where else:  0.71 doesn't have this problem and there
hasn't been any significant changes to the sppp code since then.

We also agreed that this bug *needs* to be fixed, but no one seems to be
actively persuing it.

> I know of no-one who is actively trying to fix this, if Marc's patch does
> not do the trick. None of the developers see this bug, and therefore
> cannot do much about it.

I just settled into my new job last week, and I'm finaly buying a used PC
for home in a few weeks, and then I will try to dive into the layers code
(eewwww) and see what there is to see.  I have no clue about layers 1-3 so
this _will_ take time.

-Paul.

PIRONET AG
Paul Herman - Consultant - SBU Providing
Im Mediapark 5 - 50670 Cologne - Germany
Tel.: +49 (0)221 454 3832 - Fax: +49 (0)221 454 3810
mailto:pherman@piro.net - http://www.piro.net/