Date:      Sun, 11 Sep 2016 12:07:59 -0300
From:      Mario Lobo <lobo@bsd.com.br>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Will installing a separate sound card work?

On Sat, 10 Sep 2016 17:48:23 +0000
Manish Jain <bourne.identity@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In my computer hardware upgrade project (which has already seen me
> switch 3 motherboards and 2 CPU's in 1 month), I have reached a point
> where I need to invest a bit further. My current Gigabyte GA970
> motherboard is working perfectly, except that the onboard sound
> (Realtek) is aweful, with a whole lot of high-pitch hiss accompanying
> the sound whenever I try to play any music.
>
> I would like to solve the problem by installing a separate internal
> sound card - the best option appears to be Asus Xonar DG PCI Internal
> Sound Card with a C-Media CMI8786 chipset. Will my idea of disabling
> the onboard sound and installing the separate card work ? My
> motherboard's BIOS does provide the option to disable the onboard
> sound. So I think the question simply boils down to whether the
> CMI8786 chipset be supported by the FreeBSD kernel.
>
> Thanks for any help.
> Manish Jain

Hi Manish;

Don't know if my model is EXACTLY like yours.

I have a GB 970A-UD3P mobo, running BSD 10-STABLE and the sound is
working perfectly.

--
Mario Lobo
http://www.mallavoodoo.com.br

"UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things,
because that would also stop you from doing clever things."