Date:      Thu, 4 Feb 1999 03:50:21 +0100 (MET)
From:      "D. Rock" <rock@wurzelausix.CS.Uni-SB.DE>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   locale errors

While browsing through some directories I noticed an annoying error
in locale based sorting.

My LANG is set to de_DE.ISO_8859-1

Sorting treats "ss" as a single character instead of two. This leads
to some interesting (at least) errors in displaying sorted output.

My locale is set do de_DE.ISO_8859-1, not de_DE.ASCII
If I type 2 characters ss, I mean 2 characters ss. If I type ß I
mean the single character ß.
This sorting behaviour is just wrong. Not every apperence of "ss"
even in pure  ASCII does mean "ß".

I suggest removing any multi character definition out of the collate
files.

Daniel